Sunday, November 1, 2015

Crazy Little Thing Called Life | Calla Update

It's been over three weeks now and I still remember every detail of this day.  Easily the scariest day of my life.  The day I thought I might lose my baby girl.

It was Thursday.   My mom was up for a visit so we decided to take the kids out to breakfast. 

Although she had just turned 7 months we hadn't really started feeding solids yet.  Calla would get bites of her brother's food (courtesy of her brother, of course!) and occasionally we'd let her taste our food, but I'd had a traumatic experience with the first time Bear ever ate solids, so I wasn't in any rush to start Calla on them.  But, like I said, she'd nibble here and there.

So there we were.  At breakfast.  I ordered french toast, eggs, and bacon.  I got Bear toast, sausage, and eggs.  This restaurant doesn't have little kid seats so Calla was in her car seat, but I had unstrapped her so she could sit up.  I had her nestled next tome on the booth. 

From where she sat she could reach my food and Bears.

So I let her grab and play with our food.  She didn't really eat anything, just put some things in her mouth, spit it out, then picked up something else and played with that.  I didn't even think she actually ate anything.

As we were leaving I turned her to put her back in her car seat and strap her in, and that's when I saw her face.  She was a little swollen and had red bumps around her mouth and chin.  I remember thinking it was weird, but thought it was from wiping her runny nose with wipes all day.

We put her in the car and drove a mile home.  Along the way I noticed she started sounding a little wheezy.  But, she had a cold.  So, again, I didn't really think too much of it.

My husband called and needed a ride home from work so I left and went to get him.  8 minutes.  That's how long it took to get my husband from work.  When I returned my mom was standing in the entry way, holding my baby girl. 

She was covered in hives and struggling to breath.

On the drive to the ER, which is only 2 miles from my house, I was hearing her wheezing in her car seat.  At one point the wheezing stopped.  I had my mom go back and see if she was still breathing.  I thought for sure she'd stopped.

She was still breathing... but struggling.

Three hours later she was hive free, breathing fine, her blood pressure had returned to normal, and we were being told this was an Anaphylaxic allergic reaction, likely to some of the food she was playing with at breakfast.

She didn't even eat anything!  Not really...

This bad of a reaction and she didn't even eat it.

We met with an allergy specialist last week and he gave us the doom and gloom news that since her first attack was that bad it's possible her second could be worse.   He suspects the eggs to be the culprit, but is testing for soy, wheat, dairy, and a few other things, just to be sure.  We still won't know for a while what she's allergic to and how bad it really is.  It cold have also been environmental- something within the restaurant that caused it. 

But, most likely, it's food.

Anyway, if you've been wondering where I've been the past couple of weeks, let's just say I've spent many hours in my kitchen reading the label on every food item we have.  Anything with eggs is gone.  Since it's bad enough that just contact with the food caused the reaction it all needed to go until we are sure. 

What's funny is that I never really took food allergies seriously.  Maybe because most people who say they have a food allergy really don't.  They might have an irritation or gastro-response to them, but it's not a real allergy.  I have never before seen a real allergic reaction until that day.

They are frightening.  And they are serious.  And I have no idea how to deal with it.

But I'll learn.

I'm going on vacation to California for some work and to retrieve some belongings we left behind when we moved to Minnesota.  So if you don't hear from me for a bit, that's why.  I plan to keep on with the blog as soon as I return and have some BIG NEWS to share in the aromatherapy front!  Of course, I will also update on Calla's situation when I have more news. 


All Natural Katie said...

How scary! Glad to hear that she is doing better! It's always a fine balance of thinking the worst when your baby does not seem normal and being a relaxed parent. My toddler has outdoor allergy induced asthma (but not all the time) and also seems to get the asthmatic symptoms (Respiratory Affective Disorder) when he gets sick and it goes to his chest. It is so scary when he cannot breathe!

I like your comment about people saying they have allergies when they don't truly have allergies. Most people probably have sensitivities or intolerances, but not a true allergy that could be life threatening.

Darcee Coffman said...

Gosh, how awful these last few weeks have been for you. I really hope that your baby girl is doing well & you find some answers. You're all in my thoughts.